Saturday, November 10, 2012

Stroganoff...ish

I had 1lb of ground beef in my fridge, but nothing tomato-ey of any kind (so any sort of spaghetti sauce was out), nor beans, or cheese, or any good Tex-Mex-y additions.  I was about to settle on making meatloaf, but then, I remembered that I had mushrooms....and half of a container of sour cream.  AND my new pasta press was just begging to make some more noodles.

While I'm sure it would be way better with sliced sirloin, my Hamburger Helper style beef stroganoff turned into a pretty decent weekday dinner.

Also, I think it's really hard to make Stroganoff look appetizing.  But...here's the picture anyway:

Beef Stroganoff
I used this recipe for Beef Stroganoff as a starting point, because it was one of the simplest I'd seen, but after browsing through a few other recipes as well, here's what I used and did:

Beef Stroganoff (Hamburger Helper Style)
  • Ground Beef - about 1lb
  • Montreal Steak Seasoning
  • Worcestershire Sauce
  • Onion, diced (about 1/3 of a medium yellow onion)
  • Garlic, chopped (2 cloves)
  • Mushrooms, sliced (about 1/2lb)
  • Rosemary
  • Butter
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Sour Cream (about 1 cup)
  • Dijon Mustard (a couple of teaspoons - to taste, really)
  • Pasta Noodles - I used fresh-made Fusilli, but it's usually those big flat egg noodles, right?
  1. I browned the ground beef and seasoned it while in the skillet with Montreal Steak Seasoning, salt and pepper, and little Worcestershire sauce, then set it aside when done.
  2. I sautéed the onions and garlic in a little butter, then added that to the beef.
  3. I sautéed the mushrooms in a little butter, and added some dried rosemary, salt and pepper.
  4. I stirred all of this together with the sour cream, and a couple of spoonfuls of Dijon mustard.
  5. I did thin mine down with just a little water because my sour cream was very thick.
It wasn't anything fancy but it certainly was easy and tasted good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...